Celebrating 25 years in hospitality
Ufford Park Hotel celebrated 25 years in hospitality during 2017 having opened its doors in April 1992. This unique hotel is set in 120 acres of historic parkland in Suffolk’s most beautiful, peaceful countryside, Ufford Park is just minutes from the county’s heritage coast and a mere ten miles from the bustling county town of Ipswich.
The parkland in which today’s hotel stands was, around one hundred years ago, the grounds of a mansion called ‘Ufford Place’, a building that was demolished by a fire later on in the mid-twentieth century. The very old specimen trees had reached the end of their life at that time and were then cleared to allow arable farming to take place. All that remains of the original manor house is the Victorian Lodge at the entrance to the current hotel grounds.
In 1991, Shirley and Colin Aldous, parents of Ufford Park’s current Managing Director Tarnia Robertson, took over the stalled development of what was to become known as Ufford Park. They invested their own money into the scheme, along with another local entrepreneur, and the Ufford Park Hotel opened its doors the following year.
Key dates in the development of the hotel:
- 1992: Door opened to guests
- 1997: The first major extension of the original hotel was undertaken with seventeen
- additional bedrooms and an extension to the gym, dance studio built.
- 1998: The Vista and Waveney function or dining rooms were added.
- 2005: Ufford Park’s complex was doubled in size to its current ninety bedrooms, along with a new retail golf super store, two-storey driving range and an increased function capacity to accommodate 300 guests.
- 2007: A Thermal Suite Spa comprising a 5-metre central Hydro pool and associated steam and sauna experiences were created in the spa.
- 2015: The gym was extended to include a free weight area
- 2015-2017: Bedroom refurbishment programme ongoing with two-thirds of the ninety bedrooms now fully modernised.
- 2016: Transformational refurbishment of the Park Restaurant.
While the original building has grown beyond recognition, dedicated maintenance of the surrounding parkland has ensured the preservation of its natural beauty, and it is now enjoyed by golfers who play on the award-winning, 18-hole, par 71 parkland golf course.
In 2016, the launch of Congo Rapids: Lost World adventure golf course introduced a new generation to Ufford Park adding another great reason to visit.
Tarnia Robertson became Managing Director in April 2015. She said: “We couldn’t be prouder of the past twenty-five years, or more grateful to the guests who have visited, and whose support has helped us shape what we’ve become. Here’s to the next twenty-five years!”